Monday, March 21, 2011

DIY Spring Wreath

I love to hang a new wreath for every season, but wreaths can be expensive if you purchase them pre-made in stores.  Even though I consider myself somewhat crafty, trying to make a wreath from scratch can be time-consuming and still ends up being costly.  I have found this to be the easiest and most cost-effective way to create a seasonal wreath, and if you already own a glue gun you are halfway there!  I usually go to whichever craft store is offering the best coupon, and I purchase a bunch of prearranged artificial flowers along with a grapevine wreath.
The pre-arranged flower bunches work the best because a professional floral designer already did the work of picking the flowers and colors that compliment each other so it saves you from hours of walking up and down aisles trying to pick and choose through the masses of artificial flowers.  The next step will be to take your pre-arranged flower bouquet and cut all of the flower off.  So it will look something like this:

Next I like to arrange the flowers around my wreath until I find my favorite layout.  Once you find the perfect layout you will take your pre-heated glue gun and attach the flowers to the wreath.  I like to really coat the back of the flower with glue to make sure it sticks to the wreath.  Do not worry about being overly gentle with the flowers...you can really push the stem into the grapevine wreath in order to get a good hold.
If you feel like you have some bare spots on your wreath you can take some of the leaves that were left over from your pre-arranged flower bunch and glue them throughout your wreath.
And it is as easy as that!  I spent $3.00 on the grapevine wreath and $6.00 on my pre-arranged bunch of flowers.  So for less than $10 you can create a new spring wreath that will brighten up your front door!  By they way, I like my flowers to only go halfway around my wreath, but if you prefer to cover the entire wreath you would probably need to purchase two bunches of pre-arranged flowers :)

Post a comment below and let me know what you think!!


7 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    I got here through One Pretty Think and really loved your wreath!
    I was looking for a nice one to make for my own, ant it seems like I found it :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty wreath. I like how spring-y it looks.

    I've been making wreaths recently, too. They're fun and can be so easy - just like yours - yet so pretty.

    Cheers,
    Tracy All Thumbs Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. hiya , just love your wreath it is so colourful and rustic looking and great tut. tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wreath is very spring-y and beautiful!

    Thanks for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to thank you for this great post...! Beautiful werath, Angela!!! I am glad i passed by to see it.
    free samples and coupons

    ReplyDelete